Definition and Implementation of the Management Process of Software Product Configuration
One of the most complex tasks in software engineering is the management of artifacts produced by a work team made up of tens or hundreds of people who concurrently modify the same assets. More and more products are generated, more platforms and communication channels and more elements that need to be aligned.
Therefore, the risk of incorrectly managing the configuration is increasing, implying the delivery of an incorrect version of the product, that is, wasted time, money, and resources.
Through this service, MTP ensures the integrity of the products and services developed, ranging from the SCMP (Software Configuration Management Plan) design to the configuration elements identification, creation of the structure of the configuration management directory, implementation of the control of changes on configuration elements, preparation of configuration status reports and CM audits.
To perform this service, MTP uses different methodologies, such as CMMI, SPICE (ISO 15504), ITIL, as well as task management tools, requirements, source code, warehouse or repository of the produced artifacts, etc.
Due to this, the organization obtains a set of processes and tools that will allow it to manage and communicate changes in baselines and configuration elements throughout the software life cycle. More specifically, it will be able to:
- Ensure correct software configuration.
- Provide the ability to control changes and, therefore, faster service restoration.
- Greater control of software products by always knowing the situation in which each change is particularly in, and the system in general.
- Reduce overexertion caused by integrity problems.
- Improve incident management and resolution.
- Ensure that the entire team works on the same product baseline.
- Standardization and homogenization of the working method.
- Cost reduction to unnecessary duplication.
- Facilitate inspection / audit mechanisms to automatically detect synchronism failures between executable and source or associated elements, and be able to take appropriate actions in production passes.